Sunday, September 29, 2013

Conor's Ecology Field Trip Reflection

When the bus pulled up at the conservation district, I must admit I was not expecting to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. It made it feel like I had a part in something bigger than myself, even though in all our time we only completed a tiny fraction of the work that needs to be carried out to fully restore the area. Plus, few things are more satisfying than digging acorn holes with a pickaxe or taking down an invasive tree by yourself with a handsaw. I definitely feel that ecology conservation is important and worthwhile. While it may not be immediately apparent, invasive species are extremely dangerous to an ecosystem. Because they grow in a place where they have no predators, they grow rapantly and kill everything else, which will eventually destroy an entire ecosystem and everything in it. Even if we only contributed a bit, contributing to saving an ecosystem was an extremely satisfying way to spend my day and I'm glad to have been able to experience ecology conservation firsthand.



No comments:

Post a Comment